Zion School was instituted on 16th June 1986, with just 11 children and 2 teachers. The School was housed in a thatched room and known as Vijay's Nursery School. In 1993, the School was upgraded to the Higher Secondary, recognized by the Government of TamilNadu - South India. The School has now risen to a strength of 7000 approximately. Dr. N. Vijayan, an educationist , from the ranks of the Indian Air Force, is the founder of Zion Matric. Higher Secondary School. The School is located in the outskirts of Tambaram, Chennai - South India and can be easily reached from Tambaram Railway Station in about 10 minutes. The School is about 12Kms from Meenambakkam Anna International Airport, and has classes from LKG to XII and follows Matriculation Syllabus till std X and the State Board syllabus in the Higher Secondary. The curriculum is so designed as to develop the overall personality of the students..
A double post graduate, Master of Education, Engineering, Bachelor of law in crime and Torts, followed by two doctorates one on social work contributed by Christian missionary in India and other in Education and peer group teaching, conferred by Manonmanian Sundaranar University his Excellency the Governor of Tamil Nadu conferred it in the presence of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam the former president of India.
All this has not wavered him but inspires him to work harder still to provide a holistic education. Education for life to every pupil entitled under his care is his motto; every student to be empowered with life skills and communicative skills – his aim; development of a balanced personality and a good citizen – his vision.
This is made possible by the excellent leadership couple with the expertise and dedication of the staff. This dedicated service has brought on him many honours.
• The Title “Seernilai selvan” was conferred by the former law Minister Hon'bleK.A.Krishnaswamy, govt of Tamilnadu
• Letter of appreciation was issued by the Indian Airforce as the “ Redeemer of Backward Students”.
• Doctorate on “Social Work” was conferred on him by the International Bible College.
• Doctorate on “Peer Group Teaching” from Sundaranar Manonmaniam University , Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu, South India .
• Received the “ Best Teacher Award” from the District Collector Kancheepuram.
• Received “Dr.Radhakrishnan's State Best Teacher Award” 2002-2003 from Governement of Tamilnadu.
• Indian Medical Association honoured him as the best educationist of the district.
As a district chairperson for Educational services he identified the school dropouts, below the poverty line, and child labours. Informal education was imparted with the help of teacher and eventually this children's cleared and joined the main stream of education there are employed now. Illiterate elders through Lion's club International to ensure quality education is not only to the student of the high strata of society but financially under privileged. Free education scheme is applicable for the down trodden.