Guest : Abhinav Sundar Nayak - director , editor , proprietor of Nayak cinemas
"The only difficulty I face is the technical problems"
1.Editing task needs creativity by birth or by studying editing ?
I believe more than studying the technical aspects, we need to have a sense.Software knowledge is least important.
2.Your latest venture "Status updated" became popular and liked by many . How the transformation from editor to director happened in you ?
I was always a director. But the editor in me grew faster than the director and in the end people knew me as an editor. But with 'Status Updated', people have started noticing me as a director also.
3. If you are given a chance to work in film industry , what job do you prefer - editor / director or which ?
I' am still confused about it. But as of now, i prefer being an editor. The director in me needs to mature much more. But in the end, I want to be known as Editor/Director.
4. What do you consider as the important thing for an editor to posess within himself to bring a nice editing for a film ?
Patience, Endurance, Love for films, Respect for others' opinions, Less Ego and knowledge.
5. As known , you have won an award for best editing in TSFC2010. As words of gratitude , what would you say ?
It was a great feeling and I sincerely thank TSFC, Ganesh Kumar and the whole crew of 536 for the award. It was a great encouragement.
6. If you don't mind, can we know how much revenue do you get for your projects of Nayak Cinema ?
We get absolutely no revenue from films produced and directed by me which includes 'Status Updated'. But as far as my freelance works are concerned, i have charged for almost all my editing works including 536.
7. How was your experience in editing the film "536" ?
It was a lovely experience. I could discover myself while working. And could experiment a lot.
8. Whom do you consider as the best film maker of Indian cinema ?
As of now, i consider Anurag kashyap as India's best filmmaker. He is the person i admire.
9. Do you think that editors are recognized by audience and do you think that excellent editors are scarce ?
Excellent editors are scarce in india. The major problem is indian films run on small budgets and they dont spend enough time to bring perfection to films, right from pre production. If every filmmaker looks for perfection and spends abudent amount of time for their films, I'm sure, every aspect of the film will excel.
10. What's your view on making "Film making" as one of the subjects in school ?
Its a lovely idea. But not very sure about its credibility to other people who are not into films. Interests vary.
11. As a editor , what were the difficulities you face in editing task ?
The only difficulty I face is the technical problems. otherwise, I enjoy every challenge which comes across to me.
12. As the proprietor of Nayak Cinema , what's your future goals ?
I will be producing/co producing my own films and will continue to come out with short films for the next few years. In the end, i want my whole team to get into feature films. Nayak cinema will establish as a feature film production company in the future.
13. Besides an editor , what is the job you posess ?
I' am totally dedicated into film making. I direct and edit films.
Mr.Abhinav Nayak was interviewed on 29.10.2010.